In this article, we will explain two of the most famous components of windows Windows Firewall and Windows Defender. We will also show you some of the advanced features of this software along with the instructions to use them. Below we have given the topics that we are going to cover in this article.
What is Firewall:
To understand what is Firewall the readers should understand what is a network. A computer network is a connection between various other computing devices. In a computer network a computer shares resources and data with other computers in the network. This connection is established over a cable or wireless methods depending on the situation.
If a word document needs to be printed, the computer must be connected to the printer. The computer and the printer together now constitute a network in this case. In most cases, one computer is connected to a printer and all the other computers are connected to the one computer connected to the printer. Such a network poses threat to computers in the network as harmful data and instructions can be passed into another computer.
The internet is a very big network of many smaller networks. And the internet is the best way to pass a harmful data and instructions to remote computers. To protect the computer there are solutions like, Firewall and Anti Virus (in our case, Windows Defender).
Now we can finally talk about What is Firewall. A Firewall is a software or firmware that applies a set of rules on the data entering or leaving a computer. In general terms, a Firewall is a software or a firmware that applies a set of rules on the data entering or leaving a node in a network. A node can be a router, computer or a bridge etc. These data and instructions are sent from one note in a network to another in pieces. By splitting the data into pieces, sending and receiving becomes easy. The pieces of data are called packets.
Data packets are the individual units that are sent and received by nodes in a network.
How does a Firewall Work:
A Firewall software applies a set of rules to the data packets that enters or leaves the network. By doing so, a Firewall can prevent a specific kind of data packets from entering or leaving a system. Using this, a user can configure his/her Firewall that can prevent malicious data from entering or leaving a node thus preventing external or internal attacks through a network.
A Firewall can apply a set of rules on the outbound connection. This means that the Firewall can have rules on the data packets that are leaving the computer. Using this feature, the user can make sure that sensitive data does not leave the computer. For example, consider apache and SQL server running on a computer, HTTP is the protocol used to access the information offered by both the servers but the users outside should be able to accss only apache server but the users inside should be able to access both the Apache and SQL servers. In this situation, a rule is applied at the outbound connection to block port 1433. This will prevent any kind of data of SQL server from leaving the computer.
The above given is just one use case of Firewall but it does a good job of explaining how does a Firewall Works.
Types of Firewall:
Packet Filtering / Network Layer:
This type of Firewall is applied at the Network layer. We already mentioned that the data are split into smaller data packets and sent through the network. This Firewall will check the metadata of each and packet to determine whether or not this packet is harmful. If this packet is not desirable, the Firewall will block the packet.
Stateful Packet Inspection:
If a packet is a part of a new connection or an existing connection, it will be passed or it will be dropped.
Application layer Firewall:
This Firewall is applied at application. The browser is supposed to receive only the HTTP protocol data packets and not UDP. To make sure that the Browser receivers only the HTTP data packets a Firewall should be put at the application layer. This will essentially filter the data packets to the respective application.
Firewall for Windows 10:
In Firewall for Windows 10, connecting to the internet can be classified as Private Network and Public Network. Connecting to a network at home is a typical example for a Private Network. This network is likely made to share files and data between the nodes fo the network. The Firewall rules on Private Network are generally not very strict. Public Network is usually the Internet. The Firewall Rules for the Public Network is usually very strict. It usually blocks all the inbound request.
The notification state is to state that Firewall will notify the uses when Firewall blocks an application.
Look at the options in the left pane.
Allow apps lets the users allow a specific app to start communication through the internet.
Change notification setting will change notification when an application is blocked by the Firewall.
Turn Off Windows Firewall will disable Windows Firewall.
Advanced Settings is used to set rules on the inbound and outbound data packets and also the connection.
Firewall for Windows 7
You should not connect in an open connection with a private setting.
- Go to Control Panel.
- Now Click on System and Security.
- You will see Windows Firewall. Click on it and launch it.
- On the left-hand pane, you will see various options Now click on the Allow Programs or Features through Windows Firewall.
- This is a list of programs that can send and receive data across the network. The users can see the Checkbox that shows whether or not the program can work using the network or not. There are two types of networks for the checkbox. One is Private Network and other is Public Network.
- The uses can use the Turn Windows Firewall on or off settings. Here the users can turn on or turn off Windows Firewall for a Private or Public network. Keep in mind that it is not recommended to turn off Firewall.
- Restore to Default will set the rules of the Firewall to default as it says.
- Below we have shown a demo of Firewall. Here, an application is trying to access data stored in another computer that is connected in Private network settings.
- We give Allow Access for this application and take a look inside the Firewall.
- We can see the same application is listed in the Firewall with the checkbox under Private checked.
- The users can manually check the checkbox under the Public network also.
- A program can be removed from the list using the remove option.
- If the Allowed Programs and Features are not checked, the Private and Public rules will not be applied even if they are checked.
Firewall for Windows 8:
- Move the mouse cursor to the top right of the start menu. It will launch the Charms Bar.
- Click on the Search Charm.
- Now click on the Settings.
- Now type Firewall in the search bar.
- Click on Windows Firewall and it will launch the Firewall in the desktop.
- Now the users can click on Turn Windows Firewall on or off on the left pane.
Using the above instructions The users can use Firewall for Windows 8.
What is Windows Defender:
Windows Defender is a malware protection that is included with and built into Windows. It identifies and removes malicious software. It was released as a free antispyware program for Windows XP. Initially, upon installation of Windows Defender, the Microsoft Security Essentials will disable Windows Defender. With Windows 8, Microsoft itself made Windows Defender as its main Anti Virus Software. Microsoft Security Essentials does not function by default in Windows 7 and beyond. In Windows 8 and Windows 10, Defender is on by default and it switches itself off when a third party anti-spyware is installed.
Windows Defender Advanced Features:
- Windows Defender offers real-time protection option.
- It also offers browser integration with Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge to scan files as they are downloaded to detect malicious software.
- Windows Defender does not integrate with other browsers but it does offer to scan of all the downloaded files.
- Windows Defender Offline is a bootable standalone anti-malware that runs from a bootable disk
How to turn on Windows Defender Windows 10:
Here we will show you how to schedule a scan in Windows Defender. Scheduling a scan in Windows Defender will turn on Windows Defender in Windows 10 and scan the computer. Please follow the following steps to see one of the steps of how to turn on Windows Defender Windows 10.
- Type Schedule in the start menu and Select Schedule Tasks.
- In the left pane expand Microsoft and then Windows. Now scroll down to Windows Defender and select it.
- In the middle pane, the users will see Windows Defender Scheduled Scan and double-click it.
- Open the triggers tab and click on new.
- In the new dialog box, you can set the time and frequency of the scan.
This will Turn on Windows Defender Windows 10 and scan the computer periodically.
How to turn on Windows Defender Window 7:
Please follow the given steps to turn on Windows Defender Windows 7.
- Click on the Start menu and Click on the Control Panel.
- If the view is already set to Large Icons Click on Windows Defender in the list.
- Click on Tools as shown in the figure.
- Click on Options.
- In the left pane, at the bottom, Click on the Administrator option.
- In the Middle check the first checkbox.
Now you know how to turn on windows defender windows 7
In this post, we covered many important topics such as the ones given below. These topics primarily focus on security on Windows operating system. Please stay tuned to My Pc updates to get more posts on computer-related topics.
- What is Firewall?
- How does a Firewall Work
- Types of Firewall
- Firewall for Windows 10
- Firewall for Windows 7
- Firewall for Windows 8
- What is Windows Defender
- How to turn on Windows Defender Windows 10
- How to turn on Windows Defender Windows 7
Be the first to write a comment.